The GUE Fundamental course is designed for the certified diver. Some of the objectives for the GUE Fundamental class is to provide the skills that we consider essential to safety enjoy the underwater world, while at the same time demonstrating the level of capacity that is required to enter more advanced forms of training within GUE, as for example, Cave, or Tech.
1. Precise buoyancy, trim and propulsion are a central topics of the class.
2. DIR equipment configuration is explained and used during the class.
3. Basic and Emergency skills are introduced during the class
4. A strong team component is emphasize during all phases of training
Due to the specific requirements for this course, we recommend contacting us before signing up! Please call us for any additional information!
The total training fees are $1025.00. The fees are broken down as follows:
$25.00 Registration Fee
$1000.00 Instructor / Certification Fee
You can also register online by paying the $25.00 registration fee. Your instructor will collect the remaining fees in person.
The schedule for this can course varies, please check the GUE website for current dates.
The Fundamental class is taught in a two weekend format:
1. The first weekend consists of Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Saturday will start with
lectures and equipment configuration at Diver Dan’s in Santa Clara, followed by swimming
test and basic propulsion. Sunday will conduct one pool session in the morning, followed by
video debrief and more lectures. Monday and Tuesday will include pool dives to introduce
skills and get good quality video of the participants, as well as detailed debriefs of the dives.
Saturday will meet at 9:00am and the class activities will end close to 7pm. Sunday we will
meet at 9am. Monday and Tuesday we’ll meet at 5pm at Diver Dans.
2. The second weekend will include 3 to 4 dives in Monterey/Carmel area. During these dives,
students will practice skills learned during the previous weekend and applied them to a real
environment. Ascend work is an important components of the second part of the class.
Class hours will be from 9am to 7pm on Saturday, and 8am to 6pm on Sunday. Staying in
Monterey during Saturday night is highly recommended.
In order to take GUE Fundamentals a specific equipment is needed:
1. Buoyancy Compensation Device: A diver’s buoyancy compensation device should be
back- mounted and minimalist in nature
2. Backplate System: A rigid and flat platform of metal construction with minimal padding,
held to a diver by one continuous piece of nylon webbing
3. Regulators: One of the second-stages must be on a 5 to 7 foot/1.5 to 2 meter hose
4. At least one surface-marker buoy per diver, one spool with 100 feet/30 meters of line
per diver, and Wetnotes
5. At least one time-/depth-measuring device and one wrist compass
For more information on equipment requirements, please visit
Diver Dan’s Does not rent specific gear for this course due to a personalized fit and configuration. Diver Dan’s Does rent steel/Aluminum cylinders that can be used in this course.
If you are currently under the care of a medical doctor, or have a pre-existing medical condition that requires permission from a physician, you will need to have a signed medical release form from your doctor before you can participate in any in-water activities.
To obtain a medical release form and view some conditions that would require a doctors release, download the PADI Medical Release Form to review before coming to class.
Classes scheduled less than 24 hours prior to the class start time are not guaranteed. Please call the store for more details.